Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday, 16 October 2006 - Climber's high

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a climber's high.

I am feeling really depressed lately for a number of reasons.


Change of seasons. Crazy weather. Up and down work cycle. Impending holiday season. Fragile finances.

The remedy to my blues always involves athletic endeavors. When I was younger, long distance running helped me face the rigors of graduate school, teaching and the business world. Now, I get my high from rock climbing.

By 3 PM, we have staked our spot in Red Rock Canyon. T has found a good stick to chew while S sets up the top rope on the Solar Slab. Soon, we're taking turns doing "laps" on the rock. I am always shaky on my first climb of the day, but soon get in gear and find my balance and rhythm. I finish 7 climbs while S completes 9.

At 6:30 PM, we begin hiking out of the park in near darkness. Brrrr. A cold front moved in halfway through our outing. Now it's quite chilly. I must remember to bring a warmer jacket next time.

Although I'm exhausted and hungry, I feel so much better mentally and physically. Must be the endorphins. I'll sleep soundly tonight and dream (hopefully) sweet dreams.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


Photos: Red Rock Canyon - fall colors

No comments: