Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday, 23 October 2006 - Walking the walk


Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for walking the walk.

If people have a position on something and you try to argue them into changing it, you're going to strengthen that position. If you want to change people's ideas, you shouldn't try to convince them intellectually. What you need to do is get them into a situation where they'll have to act on ideas, not argue about them. ~Myles Horton

Our neighbors still challenge my strong pro-environment views and question our recycling efforts. I don't argue with them. To each his own.

I do, however, stand firmly on two beliefs:

First, I believe that one person can make a difference.

Second, I believe that if each person did something each day to help the environment, the world would change significantly for the better. It's not how much you do - the important thing is that you do something positive every day.

So, when you catch me picking up trash in the park, cutting down noxious weeds in the culvert, dumping vegetable scraps into the compost bin, collecting aluminum cans or recycling office paper, you'll know that I'm just walking the walk - one step, one day at a time.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.
Photo: I'm supporting Anna Lord in her run for our district's State Assembly seat. And, yes, she's pro-environment.

No comments: