Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tuesday, 24 October 2006 - Break in the weather

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a break in the weather.


How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!
~John Muir

We bundle up in our fall climbing clothes and head to Red Rock Canyon for the afternoon. We applaud the sun's efforts to break through the clouds - it succeeds for about an hour(see photo).


No matter. The rock is dry and we're ready to climb.

Even though I'm not at my best, I manage four long climbs on two different routes (total of about 320 feet). The rock is cool so my shoes don't stick to the surface, making the routes more difficult. Although I'm struggling, I finish the climbs, triumphant and exhausted.

S is having a stellar day. He completes six climbs including two leads (total of about 440 feet).

T is also enjoying a productive day - chewing on scrub oak branches, barking at the birds, greeting us each time we finish a climb. Best of all, he gets to hike on a real trail and sniff all the wonders of the world.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.



Photo: Red Rock Canyon - one of the climbs we tackled - 105 feet

No comments: