Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saturday, 07 October 2006 - Dad's advice

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Dad's advice.

Success comes in cans, not cant's.
~Author Unknown


I first learned basic rock climbing over 15 years ago. So, when I took up climbing this summer after a 15-year hiatus, my aspirations were reasonable but not ambitious. Since I am a competency-based person (Myers-Briggs NT), I just wanted to do better each time I climbed and to master the skills required to be a safe, competent and elegant climber.

Now, that climbing has become my passion, my goals are expanding exponentially. And so it should be. In July, I struggled up a 45-foot, 5.5-rated climb. This afternoon, I "smoked" a 75-foot, 5.8 route.

Comfort zones or plateaus can be reassuring and predictable but they don't inspire change and progress. So, change-seeker that I am, I choose higher risk opportunities that test my ability to learn, adapt and persevere. Yes, I make mistakes - lots of them. Yes, I learn new lessons - many hard to swallow. Yes, I struggle with self-doubt and uncertainty. Yes, I think about quitting or trying something easier.

What keeps me going? Something I learned in childhood. My dad told me repeatedly, "Never say can't." At age 52, I am still trying very hard to follow his advice.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.




Photo: Red Rock Canyon - duck pond - around 5 PM today - taken while we were leaving the main canyon after an afternoon of rock climbing along the quarry wall.

No comments: