Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday, 20 October 2006 - Baseball

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for baseball.

Pitchers, like poets, are born not made.
~Cy Young

Poets are like baseball pitchers.
Both have their moments.

The intervals are the tough things.

~Robert Frost

I am a born poet and a lifelong baseball fan.

I grew up with the Los Angeles Dodgers when Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Maury Wills stood on center stage. Since we live in Colorado, we supported the Rockies during their first few seasons. We haven't attended a live game since the strike.

These days, I don't follow any team or watch any game until the pennant races and World Series.
I watch the World Series regardless of the teams competing.

"Field of Dreams" is one of my favorite movies.

Although I'm a staunch National League fan, I'm also fond of the Minneapolis Twins (because of the late Kirby Puckett) and the California (I mean Los Angeles) Angels (gotta love that Rally Monkey).

So, it all begins again tomorrow. The 2006 edition of the World Series. The Detroit Tigers versus the St. Louis Cardinals.

I don't "love" either team - don't even know the names of the key players. I will probably cheer for the Cardinals since they're the NL team. I pray that neither team sweeps.

T is pleased that both mascots are animals (must be his weird chocolate Lab logic).

S just wants a competitive series.

Play ball.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: