Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tuesday, 12 September 2006 - The last days of summer

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the last days of summer.


In summer, the song sings itself.
~William Carlos Williams


People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy. ~Anton Chekhov

This morning, while T and I hike in Red Rock Canyon for the fourth day in a row, we pause near the duck pond so I can take a few pictures. My eyes move skyward just as a flock of eight geese fly over the west climbing wall. Heading south for the winter, I presume.


Yes, the weather has been autumnal for a few weeks. But, I'm in denial. After all, we didn't have a real summer this year.

Summer did visit in June for a few weeks, bringing near 100 degree temperatures. But, July and August turned cool and rainy (great for the gardens but tragic for the tomatoes).

Now, September is here with her warm mornings, stormy afternoons and cool nights.

We continue to walk along the base of the quarry climbing wall. I delight in the wildflowers, blue sky and cool breezes. T relishes hiking along a real trail.


Our travels rarely take us far from home. Yet, on this idyllic morning with the sun's warmth on my face, my trusted canine companion by my side and hope in my heart, I am light years away.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


Photo: Red Rock Canyon - our chosen path along the quarry climbing wall

No comments: