Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sunday, 03 September 2006 - Small houses

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for small houses.


I never had any other desire so strong, and so like to covetousness, as that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a small house and a large Garden.

~Abraham Cowley,

The Garden
, 1666

Once upon a time, I wanted an enormous house with all the trimmings. Imagine: all that space filled with so many things.


After living in various spaces, I know my limitations when it comes to housekeeping. I no longer crave the things that fill a house. Fine furniture, collectibles and window treatments are not priorities. Highly functional spaces and large gardens are important.

That's why I am smitten with the "small" or "wee" house movement.


I would love to own a wooded piece of land - maybe five acres. On it, I would build three or four small buildings. One, the largest, would be the main house with kitchen and living quarters - 500-700 square feet. Another, would be my husband's office - 100 square feet. The third would be my studio - 100 square feet. The fourth (optional) would be the greenhouse - 75 square feet.

By choosing a small house, I could have the elegance I prefer but on a much smaller scale. I would incorporate the high quality materials that make larger homes cost prohibitive. For example, instead of 150 square feet of antique Italian tile for the kitchen floor, I would need only 30 for my much smaller, 5x6 foot galley. Other considerations: recycled materials, solar energy, composting toilet, patios, decks and large gardens.

I am launching this dream today. Our current home, about 2,200 square feet including the basement, is full of stuff.
Our future small house of under 1,000 feet can only contain the essentials. By the end of the year, I intend to downsize by 50 percent. Wish me luck!

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Daisy with grasshopper (my backyard wildflower garden)

No comments: