Friday, June 30, 2006

Friday, 30 June 2006 - End of a chaotic day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the end of a chaotic day on the eve of the Tour de France.

Consider a man riding a bicycle. Whoever he is, we can say three things about him. We know he got on the bicycle and started to move. We know that at some point he will stop and get off. Most important of all, we know that if at any point between the beginning and the end of his journey he stops moving and does not get off the bicycle he will fall off it. That is a metaphor for the journey through life of any living thing, and I think of any society of living things. ~William Golding

As cycling fans extraordinaire, my husband and I agonized over every bit of today's news regarding the doping scandal at the 2006 Tour de France. So, I'm relieved to see day's end. I'll go to bed thinking about tomorrow's prologue and wondering what might have been for the likes of Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: