Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday, 26 June 2006 - 100 noxious weeds

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for 100 noxious weeds, one pair of well-worn leather gardening gloves, two pairs of sharp weed clippers and a strong back.

The destroyer of weeds, thistles and thorns is a benefactor, whether he soweth grain or not. ~Robert Ingersoll, inscription to Volume I, Collected Works

Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. ~William James

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. ~Edmund Burke

This summer, I am "Queen Weed Whacker," benefactress of the open spaces near the neighborhood park. My daily routine includes cutting down 100 or so noxious weeds from the culvert, easement, alley and green space that lines the sidewalk.

Not glamorous or exciting. Definitely tedious and thankless work. But, if I don't do a little bit everyday, managing the weeds becomes an onerous task, especially after a rainy weekend. Besides, no one else wants to do the work. If it is to be, it's up to me.

I know that managing noxious weeds won't make me an impact player when it comes to global change. I would like to be but am not in the same league as Bill Gates and his well-funded foundation. He has the resources, connections and power to do incredible, life changing things for millions of people while I do not. Yet.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: