Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday, 08 June 2006 - Butterflies in the garden

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for butterflies in the garden.

The butterfly is a flying flower,
The flower a tethered butterfly.
~Ponce Denis Écouchard Lebrun

I've watched you now a full half-hour;
Self-poised upon that yellow flower
And, little Butterfly!
Indeed I know not if you sleep or feed.
How motionless! - not frozen seas
More motionless! and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls you forth again!
~William Wordsworth, "To a Butterfly"

I believe that every garden has a purpose. I intend for my gardens to be havens and playgrounds for butterflies.

The unexpected word-of-mouth advertising is paying off royally (thanks to T, the finches and other gracious fauna). Daily, dozens of butterflies visit my gardens while I am watching (and I'm sure that scores more visit while I am otherwise occupied indoors).

Yes, I'm spying on them. And, yes, I'm eavesdropping on their musings.

"Time for a bit of refreshment," they murmur while alighting on the catmint.


"Time to sit atop this phlox while we catch our breath," they whisper as the morning breeze fans their wings.

"Time to plan our day's journey," they admit as the hot sun peeks over the fence.

"Oh my! Time's awasting! We must go as we have countless things to do and so many places to visit today. Hurry, hurry, hurry!" they exclaim as the clock strikes 7AM.


(sigh) It's time for me to get on with my day, too.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: