Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thursday, 22 June 2006 - Open spaces

Red Rock Canyon - duck family (note the tags on the adults)

Red Rock Canyon - looking east from one of the trails

Red Rock Canyon - the face that S and I climbed earlier this week (top-rope).


Red Rock Canyon - small lake

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for open spaces, preserved as city parks.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Two amazing parks reside within an easy 10-15 minute drive from our home: the venerable Garden of the Gods and the new Red Rock Canyon open space.

I don't agree with our city council on most issues (they are too developer-friendly). I do, however, give them credit for purchasing the Red Rock Canyon land in 2003 and turning it into a fabulous multi-purpose recreational site.

(Note: I took the photos yesterday during an early evening hike during which we celebrated the first day of summer.)

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: