Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday, 5 June 2006 - Random act of kindness for the environment

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a random act of kindness for the environment.

They know, they just know where to grow, how to dupe you, and how to camouflage themselves among the perfectly respectable plants, they just know, and therefore, I've concluded weeds must have brains. ~Dianne Benson, Dirt, 1994

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, Fortune of the Republic, 1878

My latest environmental crusade involves controlling the noxious plants that grow near the park along the drainage ditch and in the adjacent open spaces. So, with the blessing of our city's Parks and Rec Department, I spent Saturday and Sunday mornings clipping prickly Canadian thistles and pulling stubborn Russian knapweed.

It wasn't my favorite way to spend the best (and coolest) hours of the morning (sorry about missing church yesterday morning - got carried away with the task at hand). This is one instance where the results are more important than the process. In other words, I love the noxious plant-free ditch but don't enjoy the weeding task.

Note: my daily regimen of weightlifting and hundreds of abdominal crunches has paid off! My lower back and shoulders didn't bother me at all although my right hip tightened up a bit (will need to see the chiropractor about that issue).

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: