Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wednesday, 19 March 2008 - Vernal equinox

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the vernal equinox.

Hoe while it is spring, and enjoy the best anticipations. It is not much matter if things do not turn out well. ~Charles Dudley Warner

The vernal equinox represents the equality that captures my imagination right now: an equal day and night that starts the parade of much longer days and much shorter nights. I cautiously invite spring fever to infect me, knowing full well that winter hides behind every sunny day and early bloom.

To celebrate this seasonal event, I decide not to spin an egg on the sidewalk to see if it will stand on its own. Rather, I take my trusty gardening tool - the one that looks like a hoe but replaces the single metal blade with three strong tines - and push it into the wet dirt - earth soaked by melting snow. Yes, I'm ecstatic to be working in the garden, even if the only thing I can do is breakup ice chunks and stir the mud.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: