Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuesday, 18 March 2008 - My parents

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my parents as they celebrate their 58th wedding anniversary.

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~William D. Tammeus

These days, when I think of my parents I imagine twilight - that last golden glimmer of sunlight at day's end. As evening gives birth to a clear night sky, stars emerge from the ebony canvas. The stars, like hopes and dreams, sparkle brilliantly to young eyes and sadly to old ones. I close my eyes and wish upon the most dazzling one.

I saw a shooting star a few weeks after my niece, Elizabeth, died. I think it was her way of assuring me that she was all right in Heaven and that our dog, Y, had found her and was protecting her.

But, a shooting star in my parent's sky means something different. The star's final trip across the Universe celebrates love, light and life. And lessons - the ones my parents taught me over and over again in their odd, indirect ways.

No, Mom and Dad. I won't forget to love others, to be honest and true in the light of day and to embrace life and its opportunities with all my heart. And, if it will make you feel better about me, I will catch that falling star and put it in my pocket and save it for a rainy day ... for all the times you won't be there to remind me.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: