Friday, March 07, 2008

Friday, 07 March 2007 - This political season

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for this political season.

In this extraordinary political season, richly infused with Senator Barack Obama's messages of empowerment, I refuse to sit idly at home and merely watch the election spectacle unfold around me. No, this year, I need to be in the arena, in the fight. I need to live my credo: that every little bit helps, that one person can make a difference. Fired up. Ready to go.

So, tonight, S and I attend a meeting for local Democratic candidates and people who want to work on campaigns. We fall into the latter group.

I sip my glass of red wine and interview several candidates. After a few conversations, I realize that most of these people are running their first political campaigns and need lots of help with the basics: elevator speech, marketing messages, fundraising strategies. I think I can help.

I decide that it's in my best interest to work for someone for whom I can vote - the State representative or senate candidate. Others, including people I already know, want me to join their teams. But, I live outside their districts and can't vote for them. S wants to work for the person running for the Congressional seat.

It's only March. November seems a long way off. But, in an election year, a candidate's work continues 24x7. No rest for the wicked or the worthy.

I'm still looking for my place in the political mayhem. When I find it, I hope I can make a difference.

Yes, we can. Yes, we can.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: