Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sunday, 09 March 2008 - Seeds

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seeds.

Before the seed there comes the thought of bloom.
~E. B. White

I'm thinking about new additions to this year's gardens. So far, I've collected about two dozen seed packets - assorted vegetables, herbs, wildflowers and flowering perennials - so I'm ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates. I don't know why I bought so many varieties. My gardens are already crowded. After three years, most of the plants now reach their mature size. I rationalize my seed purchases by saying I'll give away what I don't use.

In the coming weeks, I'll need to finish several gardening chores before I can plant the first seeds. As the weather gradually improves, I'll work the soil in my future vegetable and herb garden and amend the clay soil with more peat moss, sand and cow manure. I'll trim and feed dozens of flowering perennials, aerate the soil and mulch the sunniest and hottest areas with a mixture of pine bark and leaves. And, I'll look for the season's first daffodils and irises - hopefully I'll see their cheery yellow and purple faces by Easter.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: