Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday, 16 March 2008 - Seasonal ownership

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seasonal ownership.

Accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields. ~Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

This morning, as slushy rain pelts us, T and I carefully navigate icy, snowpacked sidewalks on our way to the park. I notice his high energy level - he's actually pulling me along - and praise his enthusiasm. During yesterday's hike, T often lagged behind especially when the sun peeked out from behind the gathering storm clouds.

T is definitely a cold weather dog. Actually, the more I think about it, S, T and I each "own" a different season.
  • S is a child of summer who favors the blazing July and August sun for hiking, biking and climbing adventures. He also chooses the hottest hours of the day to work outdoors. He tolerates winter because he wants to enjoy a variety of strenuous athletic pursuits (i.e., activities like shoveling snow or showshoeing during which he works up a healthy sweat despite the cold temperatures).
  • T is a child of winter who loves to hike in the snow despite near zero degree temperatures and bone chilling North winds. I've never seen him shiver from the cold - must be his dense Labrador retriever fur and Colorado pedigree. In summer, he can't shed fast enough (i.e., I can't brush him often enough). To stay cool, T demands frequent "wet downs" with the garden hose.
  • True to my Piscean nature, I am a child of transitions: winter to spring, spring to summer, summer to fall, fall to winter. I literally melt in summer and freeze in winter. In summer, give me cool mornings for gardening, afternoon shadows for comfort, gentle breezes throughout the day, a wide brimmed hat and an extra dollop of 30 SPF sunscreen. In winter, give me layers of warm clothing, thick wool socks, pots of steaming herbal tea, a Charles Dickens novel and a stack gardening catalogs.
For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: