Today, I am thankful for 54 years.
Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again. ~Menachem Mendel Schneerson
Oh my, not another one!
Yes, it's here and there's nothing I can do about it except sing, Happy Birthday to me.
I add another year to my personal tally. Remembering the recent deaths of friends and acquaintances, I wonder if year 55 will be my last. Most likely it won't be but you never know. In any event, as I've noted before, I am probably well past my halfway point, unless, of course, I live beyond age 108.
S, T and I celebrate simply.
- A long hike along a local trail (it's too cold to climb or boulder).
- A plate of perfectly cooked linguine bathed in a rich sauce that I make from five ingredients: red onions, bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper (thank you, Mark Bittman).
- A glass of my favorite beer, Tommyknocker's maple nut brown ale.
- A UCLA win over Stanford in the final of the PAC-10 basketball tournament.
- A phone message from my favorite sister.
- A surprise email message from my very best friend from high school.
For this blessing, I am grateful.