Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday, 15 March 2008 - 54 years

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for 54 years.

Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again. ~Menachem Mendel Schneerson

Birthdays.

Oh my, not another one!

Yes, it's here and there's nothing I can do about it except sing, Happy Birthday to me.

I add another year to my personal tally. Remembering the recent deaths of friends and acquaintances, I wonder if year 55 will be my last. Most likely it won't be but you never know. In any event, as I've noted before, I am probably well past my halfway point, unless, of course, I live beyond age 108.

S, T and I celebrate simply.
  • A long hike along a local trail (it's too cold to climb or boulder).
  • A plate of perfectly cooked linguine bathed in a rich sauce that I make from five ingredients: red onions, bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper (thank you, Mark Bittman).
  • A glass of my favorite beer, Tommyknocker's maple nut brown ale.
  • A UCLA win over Stanford in the final of the PAC-10 basketball tournament.
  • A phone message from my favorite sister.
  • A surprise email message from my very best friend from high school.
After returning home from our hike, I see that the daffodils are pushing through the soil in the front yard garden. In California, daffodils always bloomed on my birthday, which is why they're my favorite spring flower. In Colorado, however, they simply announce their presence. Right on cue on March 15.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.



No comments: