Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday, 29 February 2008 - Emersonian friend

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for an Emersonian friend.

A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I call a longtime friend and former colleague, Patrice, because I need a referral for a client whose marketing needs exceed the scope of my writing business. She cheerfully obliges, sharing a prized contact. I don't bother her often, just when I'm really desperate. Besides, I've been out of the arena for several years while she remains a player.

Since we haven't spoken in quite a while, we end up chatting for over an hour. She shares news about her new business while I confess my struggles trying to define my writing career. She relates how she overcame similar frustrations, suggesting I try this or think about that. Finally, she helps me define some next steps. Nothing earth shaking. Just things that helped her successfully transform her career.

Patrice is one of my Emersonian friends. Before her, I may be sincere. Before her, I may think aloud. In return, she is her quintessential self: nonjudgmental, empathetic, insightful, perceptive, encouraging.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: