Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday, 04 February 2008 - Underdogs

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for underdogs.

Growing up, I watched the popular Saturday morning cartoon show, Underdog. At the time, I did not know the meaning behind the term. To me, it was just the canine hero's quirky name. Underdog.

In time, I learned that, in any competition, the underdog is the person or team not favored to win. I also discovered that Americans often cheer for the underdog even in the most hopeless situations.

And, after RT asked me to join his UCLA Texas Rangers Fan Club (this was the 1970s), I understood that a fan who continually supports a losing team must have a strong sense of humor. (Of course, I soon realized that the club's official status was merely the means by which RT could secure student funds for special member "events" - the club had nothing to do with the Texas Rangers or baseball.)

This morning, as I consider the underdogs I've supported in sports and politics, I smile broadly. Last night, the New York Giants - super duper underdogs - beat the acclaimed New England Patriots, 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII. Football doesn't get any better than this.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: