Monday, February 11, 2008

Monday, 11 February 2008 - Recyclers

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for recyclers.

I am disgusted but not surprised to learn that Americans recycle only 50% of their used aluminum cans. When T and I walk around the park, I am amazed at how many soft drink cans I "rescue" from the trash bins and culvert. A sad situation, indeed.

Since my backward thinking city does not have mandatory recycling, I guess that people believe that saving a few cans is not worth the effort. Not a very good excuse, in my opinion. Like newspapers, used cans are easy to store until the next recycling pickup. But, then again, most people's thinking runs counter to my beliefs that one person can make a difference, that every little bit helps.

Anyway, this morning, I was glad to see that the young couple up the street now recycles their aluminum cans and newspapers. For a long time, the only regular recyclers on our block were baby boomers: our two neighbors to the south and us.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: