Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sunday, 03 February 2008 - Traditional Super Bowl Sunday

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a traditional Super Bowl Sunday.

The guys, S, M (our Air Force Academy cadet) and T, are watching the super-sized Super Bowl pre-game show - over four hours of hype and fluff. I can't justify all that TV time. So, after figuring out my cooking schedule and taking T for a walk, I retreat to my studio to read, check the Internet to see how Barack Obama is doing, do the Sunday crossword puzzle and write. I'll venture out for the kick-off and make sure the buffalo steaks, garlic smashed potatoes and broccoli are ready by half-time. I baked the dessert and focaccio earlier this afternoon so I need just about an hour to prepare dinner.

I don't plan to watch the game. For S and M's sake, I hope it's a good one - close score, well played, few penalties. I favor the New York Giants, mainly because of the Patriots' Spygate affair earlier in the season. If the team is that good, why do they need to cheat?

Well, it's a few minutes before kick-off. I offer this quote to honor the competition:

Life has meaning only in the struggles.
Triumph or defeat is in the hands of the Gods.

So let us celebrate the struggles.

~Swahili warrior song


For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: