Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wednesday, 12 September 2007 - Stones

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for stones.

There is life in a stone. Any stone that sits in a field or lies on a beach takes on the memory of that place. You can feel that stones have witnessed so many things.
~Andy Goldsworthy, NY Times, 5/16/04

I like stones, rocks and pebbles.
Even sand if you mean long, lonely stretches that greet the winter tide.
Stones as monuments, borders and cairns.
Cornerstones and gravestones, too.
Strong and earthy.
I feel their weight in my pocket.
I acknowledge their power as I remove one from my shoe.

When I worked for a Fortune 100 company, I placed five small polished stones on my desk. They sat in one neat row just below the computer monitor. A personal tribute to David's (of David and Goliath fame) five stones.

One morning, I noticed that only four stones sat on my desk. I looked everywhere for the missing one. I never found it. I like to think it had a noble destiny, like slaying a giant.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: