Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday, 14 September 2007 - One chocolate flower

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one chocolate flower.

Each spring, I plant at least one chocolate plant (berlandiera lyrata).

According to the gardening experts:
This chocolate scented native wildflower blooms profusely all season with cheery, light yellow daisies; the sweetly fragrant blossoms really do smell like chocolate! Easily grown in a variety of soil types, this drought-tolerant species readily re-seeds itself, making it a desirable addition to any wildflower meadow or informal garden area. Zones 4-8. ~High Country Gardens catalog
The perfect perennial for my Colorado garden, one would think.

Unfortunately, the plant hasn't done very well in either the front or back yard. Until this year.

This morning, as I watered the north back yard garden, I noticed a single sunny yellow bloom rising above the leafy spray.

And, yes, the flower lives up to its billing - it has a heavenly chocolate scent.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: