Saturday, September 01, 2007

Saturday, 01 September 2007 - A sporting weekend

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a sporting weekend.

My husband is in 7th heaven this weekend. Sports, sports and more sports. Cycling, tennis and football.

+++La Vuelta a Espana - The year's final major European stage race. S and I watch it live on Internet television via cycling.tv. Despite the doping scandals, we remain staunch cycling fans.

+++The US Open Tennis Championship - S calls this tournament the "high holy days" of tennis. Even though we haven't played tennis since we left Austin, we remain loyal fans. Gotta love that Roger Federer.

+++The World Track and Field Championships (in Kyoto, Japan) - Another sports event that we can't ignore. Hometown favorite, Adam Goucher, will be in Sunday's 5,000 meter final (I knew his mother way back when).

+++College football - We're pro-UCLA, of course, and follow the PAC-10 closely. My UCLA ties have strengthened now that my niece attends my alma mater as a third generation Bruin. The Air Force Academy is our local Colorado team. We are not CU fans.

+++Pro football - S and many of our friends are Oakland Raider fans. I usually just go along for the ride, although I do love the team colors (silver and black) and slogan ("commitment to excellence"). You won't catch me cheering for the Denver Broncos, ever. S is more accommodating. He'll watch any game regardless of the teams - just hopes for a well-played, competitive contest.

+++High school football - We are Coronado High School fans. Our next-door neighbor, Everett, and his friends start on the varsity team. The local and Denver newspapers identified Everett as a player to watch and one of the best at his position (RB, LB). S, who has followed and supported Everett's athletic career for many years, will attend most of the games, sitting and cheering with the players' parents.

+++Rock climbing - S and I will continue to climb in Red Rock Canyon through fall and winter as long as it's at least 45 degrees, dry and sunny. My 2007 goal remains unmet - to climb the 5.10a route on the Wailing Wall.

... All of this before baseball and the boys of summer end their long, drawn out season. Sorry, Rockies. Once football season begins, we won't watch another baseball game until the World Series.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: