Monday, September 03, 2007

Monday, 03 September 2007 - Time off, time out

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for time off, time out.

Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold. But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow. ~Douglas Pagels

The power of work. I remember the 80+ hour work weeks and Sunday afternoons in the office ... the unhealthy belief that if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done. So much for climbing the corporate ladder if, simultaneously, I can't exercise my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Now, still on sabbatical from the corporate world, I am finally beginning to understand work and its place in my life.

Most importantly, I no longer tie my worth or identity to a corporate title. When someone asks me what I do, I could tell them that I'm a marketing communications consultant (boring!). Instead, I simply say that I'm a writer and poet (much more interesting).

On this Labor Day, as I redefine my career goals, I vow:

Never again to allow work to swallow me whole.
Never again to let self-imposed deadlines ruin a holiday or cancel a vacation.
Never again to surrender my life to work.
Never again to engage in work that's meaningless beyond the office walls.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: