Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday, 21 September 2007 - Luigi

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Luigi.

I hear his familiar voice on the answering machine: "Hello, this is Luigi from LBD ..."

Luigi calls me from the upscale New York City department store about two or three times a year (whenever his cosmetics line offers a special promotion). Late this morning, he calls and leaves a message. A few hours later, I return his call.

Luigi asks how I am doing and if I had a good summer. I learn that he vacationed in Italy this year. I ask him to describe any new items or colors and, given the products I already own, what he thinks I should add to my collection. Then, I place an order. This time, I need to replenish a few frequently-used products and want to buy the top item on my wish list.

I first "met" him over the phone about three years ago after I decided to use mineral makeup. After our initial conversation, he sent me lots of generous samples so I could choose the right colors for my face, cheeks, eyes and lips. Long story short ... thanks to Luigi, I am a loyal LBD customer.

I'm thinking about another visit to New York City. My trips are all pre-9/11. I think about sauntering along Fifth Avenue for a day of window shopping and museum hopping. I think about eating at an out-of-the-way deli and savoring an Italian ice purchased from a gregarious street vendor. I think about exploring Greenwich Village and searching the cool Bleeker Street shops for the perfect accessory - most likely a piece of artisan jewelry. And, I think about finally meeting Luigi and letting him use his talent and every trick he knows to make me look absolutely fabulous.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: