Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday, 11 September 2007 - Everyday heroes

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for everyday heroes.

The impersonal hand of government can never replace the helping hand of a neighbor.
~Hubert H. Humphrey

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.
~Herman Melville

The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.
~Benjamin Disraeli


9/11. Always a difficult morning because the memories are still fresh. Just six years ago. I will always remember where I was (at home) and what I was doing (getting ready for work).

The televised images of tragedy and horror, replayed again and again.

"Enough!" I finally exclaimed and escaped to work.

There, the story continued unabated. We gathered in the main conference room, watched the replays and turned away in disbelief. I reached out to colleagues, hugged close friends, shared a box of Kleenex. The CEO sent us home early.

The day's legacy?

For me, the knowledge that, when tragedy strikes, the golden rule will prevail. An ordinary someone will do something extraordinary for a stranger - lend a helping hand, soothe frazzled nerves, hug trembling shoulders, offer sips of cool water, whisper hopeful and encouraging words.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: