Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday, 13 September 2007 - A change of seasons

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a change of seasons.

This is the way the rhythm moves. The fall of the year comes, then winter with its trees stripped of leaf and bud; cold winds ruthless in bitterness and sting. ~Howard Thurman

During September, summer blends seamlessly into fall.
While I lament the short growing season and waning daylight, my gardens don't mind the transition.

For them, it's simply time to move from blooms to seed to sleep. An early snowfall - disastrous for the still maturing watermelons and fragile herbs, will be a welcome event for the hardy yarrow and sage plants. I really need to finish my late summer planting and mulching by this weekend.

Cool mornings and evenings punctuate a hot afternoon. T's energy level rises as the temperature falls. I start studying knitting patterns - time to begin knitting my new wool sweater. S and I wonder when the aspens will be ready for prime viewing. We anticipate local and distant climbing adventures.

In Colorado, autumn and winter happen, though not always in that order.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: