Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tuesday, 25 September 2007 - Warm jacket

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a warm jacket.

Common sense is not so common. ~Voltaire

I am freezing this morning. The cold front that brought snow to the high country continues its unseasonable journey to the south and east. The resorts are predicting an early ski season.

T celebrates the cooler weather by tearing around the backyard in pro running back style while I complain about the cold. He's eager to begin our morning walk.

I must look strange to our middle school friends waiting at the bus stop. Yes, I'm the woman wearing summer capris, walking shoes and a warm Patagonia jacket made from wind resistant fleece. If I had prepared better, I'd also be wearing gloves and a hat.

Dominic yells good morning to T. I see that he's not wearing a jacket or his favorite hoodie. I'm sure that, as he left the house a few minutes earlier, his mother urged him to wear a jacket. But, like most boys his age, he refused, opting to brave the chill. Now, he looks cold but won't admit his discomfort.

I shiver and push my hands deep into my pockets. When Dominic's older and wiser, he'll appreciate the virtues of wearing a warm jacket on a cold morning.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: