Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday, 18 September 2007 - Reality check

Dear God:

Today I am thankful for a reality check.

Lead me to places of loneliness and pain.
May Your words shine in my mouth.

May I trust that the way You have made me
is the way that is needed.

~Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.

This prayer, especially the third line, really touched a raw nerve. So much so that I'm seriously evaluating my ongoing and quasi-fanatical self-improvement efforts.

I'm thinking that it's time to take a break from the ongoing search for myself.

Maybe the person I am this very minute is quite sufficient for this leg of my journey.

Maybe, I need to appreciate how far I've come given how scared and unprepared I was when I started the adventure.

And, maybe, just maybe, I am already sitting pretty, having reached an important destination. I just don't know it because I've haven't taken the time to explore and appreciate my surroundings. Imagine missing a milestone that's clearly marked in my book of days!

If all these "maybes" are true, then it's time for me to embrace my sufficiency, walk with greater confidence, speak with more authority, write more passionately, and trust that I am needed.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: