Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday, 25 February 2007 - The movies

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the movies.

For five decades, the movies have entertained me. I've laughed, cried, sung, screamed and sighed through the best and worst and everything in between.

For me, movies are sources of hope and courage (think Forrest Gump, The Joy Luck Club, Shindler's List, The Truman Show, The Shawshank Redemption, Sling Blade, The Wizard of Oz and You Can't Take It With You). They teach me me important life-changing lessons (think It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Groundhog Day, Pleasantville, Master and Commander). They inspire my writing, offering new perspectives on the human condition (think Little Women, Dead Poet's Society and Cross Creek). And, they tickle my funny bone with etched-in-my-memory one-liners and antics (think Monty Python, Mel Brooks and the Marx Brothers).

Yes. I gave in and watched the Academy Awards (not the most productive way to spend 3.5 hours). I am a very strange participant in this whole affair. Although I did not see one nominated film, I read all the major reviews and watched the BAFTAs. If you eavesdropped on a recent conversation, you'd be surprised at how easily I discussed the films and actors. I know just enough to be dangerous!

Anyway, this year, I wanted and got two favorable results. First, Helen Mirren won Best Actress honors (she's one of our all-time favorite actresses - we know her best from the
Prime Suspect series and Calendar Girls). Second, Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth, won the Best Feature Length Documentary award.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: