Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday, 02 February 2007 - Punxsutawny Phil's favorable report

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Punxsutawny Phil's favorable report.

O, wind,

If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

~Percy Bysshe Shelley


I am pleased, no, ecstatic, that the beloved groundhog did not see his shadow this morning. Here's the official report (http://www.groundhog.org/prediction/):

Phil Says Spring is Right Around the Corner!

Phil's official forecast as read 2/2/07 at 7:28 a.m. at Gobbler's Knob:

El Nino has caused high winds, heavy snow, ice and freezing temperatures in the west.
Here in the East with much mild winter weather we have been blessed.

Global warming has caused a great debate.
This mild winter makes it seem just great.

On this Groundhog Day we think of one thing.
Will we have winter or will we have spring?

On Gobbler's Knob I see no shadow today.
I predict that early spring is on the way.


It's 8 AM. T and I are ready to leave for our walk. The National Weather Service reports the official temperature: -17 degrees F, -33 degrees with wind chill (possibly colder in our neighborhood since our altitude is 600 feet higher than the city's).

I wonder, "Are we in Colorado Springs or at an advanced camp on Mount Everest?" This morning, I can't tell the difference.


We aren't the only ones to brave the elements. I notice human, canine and deer tracks, but none leading from our street to the park (I guess K did not take Sage for a walk).

It's so cold that I hesitate before taking off my right glove to pick up T's poops (I do it anyway). Despite the beautiful snow-covered landscape, I take no photos (my gloved hands are too frozen to operate a camera).
For the first time in my life, I actually feel the cold around my eyes (not a pleasant feeling - delicate tissues beginning to freeze).

Of course, T is having a grand time. He still sniffs and marks at will - can't understand my impatience when he stops to investigate an interesting scent. Needless to say, I force him to keep moving. After one incredibly bone-chilling lap, we race home. Never before has our drafty house felt so safe and warm.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: