Saturday, April 01, 2006

Saturday, 01 April 2006 - Cesar Chavez

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for real heroes like Cesar Chavez.

Grant me courage to serve others, for in service there is true life. Give me honesty and patience, so that I can work with other workers. Bring forth song and celebration, so that the Spirit will be alive among us. Let the Spirit flourish and grow, so that we will never tire of the struggle. Let us remember those who have died for justice, for they have given us life. ~Cesar Chavez, activist and advocate for farm workers

I knew the name, Cesar Chavez, very well while growing up in Southern California. His work and cause hit some nerves in our household. My mother grew up on a truck farm in Sacramento so she knew the hard work required to manually harvest fruits and vegetables. My dad, on the other hand, was in the produce business so he understood the dollars and cents of the situation and favored the growers and grocery stores over the migrant farm workers' plight.

I respected Cesar Chavez because he stood firmly for his beliefs and and acted on his vision. For me, he set a real-life example of what one person can do if his heart is in the right place and his passion and commitment are unwavering.

When my dad exhorted, "Never say can't," I know he wasn't thinking of Mr. Chavez. But, I know that Cesar Chavez also knew these words intimately. And, he took the next step - the one that most of us never take - he believed them with all his heart.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: