Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday, 23 April 2006 - A cook's intuition

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a cook's intuition.

Unless I'm baking a cake or making candy, I rarely follow a recipe. I'm not very good at following directions exactly as written. My culinary creations are hybrids.

I study several recipes for a given dish so I know the basic ingredients and directions. Then, I begin cooking. Intuition kicks in. A little more of this and a little less of that, fresh veggies instead of canned, lots of garlic and onions, generous portions of cinnamon and vanilla extract, add cayenne pepper whenever possible because I like hot and spicy dishes.

There is one major drawback to my cooking methods. Since I cook intuitively, I cannot reproduce a given dish (not even my tortilla soup or kim chee). Thank goodness my husband isn't picky. He does wish, however, that I would watch my use of cayenne pepper. What's just right for me is almost too hot for him.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: