Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday, 28 February 2006 - More spring cleaning

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for more spring cleaning. This time, I'm sorting my book collection.

Books, books and more books. Ever since I taught myself to read at age 4, I've been in love with the printed word.

Books. I buy them, read them, study them and store them in the bookcase where they often sit, unopened, for months and years. I've decided that the dust collectors must go. So, my next major decluttering task involves clearing the bookshelves. Books, after all, have a definite purpose - they're suppose to be read over and over again. That's why public libraries exist.

Next week, I plan to sort through my collection and donate the majority of volumes to my favorite charity store. The stack of children's books (I bought them thinking that my niece and nephew would visit us often - they didn't) will go to a local preschool or the Children's Literacy Center.

Wish me luck. I'll need an extra dose of discipline so I can let go and move on.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: