Monday, April 03, 2006

Monday, 03 April 2006 - Room in the closet

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for room in the closet.

Your clothes speak even before you do. ~Jacqueline Murray
Never wear anything that panics the cat. ~P. J. O'Rourke
Clothes never shut up. ~Susan Brownmiller

My entire wardrobe including coats now fits in one closet. This time, I'm not cheating. My jeans and jackets and tops are not squished together but actually have breathing space.

The purge isn't over. I need to eliminate more items but will wait a few more weeks to ensure that winter is officially over. I'm down to my last few looks at my wardrobe before I tackle my yarn stash and my personal snail-mail correspondence (boxes of letters and cards dating from my childhood).

(Sigh.) I love my eclectic collection of wool sweaters but don't need a dozen; I adore the Italian-made boots and slightly vintage Burberry rain coat but never wear them; I still like the red Coach handbag but prefer to use the felted bag I designed and knitted last fall. (Sigh.)

All my things deserve to be worn or carried. They also deserve to be worn out - an event that won't occur under my ownership.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: