Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday, 17 April 2006 - Fingernails

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my fingernails.

My fingernails have endured all the activities required of my hands. I keep them manicured and presentable. They're short because I work a lot with my hands (typing, cooking, gardening, knitting). Rather than painting them with lacquer, I buff them until they shine. They're very strong and durable and immune to most of my abuse.

Now, I am usually very careful and deliberate when I chop vegetables and other ingredients for my culinary creations. Yesterday, however, the knife slipped while I chopped turkey for the tortilla soup. The very sharp blade cut through the nail of my index finger (left hand), slicing tissue and skin. To stop the bleeding, I applied a compress and covered the incision with cayenne pepper (yes, it does work).

Later, while inspecting the wound more carefully, I realized that, if my nail hadn't been there, I probably would have cut off part of my finger. Lucky me.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: