Saturday, April 22, 2006

Saturday, 22 April 2006 - My environmentalist tendencies

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my environmentalist tendencies.

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb

There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew. ~Marshall McLuhan, 1964

I'm one of those sometimes annoying environmentalists. I pick up trash around the park and neighborhood and tend well-mulched xeriscape gardens that attract the birds and butterflies. I'm an ardent recycler, trying to keep the landfill free of the remnants of my family's consumption: cardboard, chip board, glass, white paper, newspaper, magazines, catalogues, junk mail, plastic, aluminum/steel cans and outdated phone books. I use trash bags made from corn starch and cloth produce bags and shopping totes. At the neighborhood get-togethers, I'm the one who sets up and manages the recycling bins. We give money to environmental causes.

My one transgression involves transportation. I definitely need a car since public transportation is poor and the stores are too far away. But, since S and I work from home, we've curtailed our driving habits quite dramatically. Between the two of us, we usually drive less than 50 miles a week. My next car will be a hybrid or will use biodiesel fuel. Or, we'll move to a town that's more pedestrian and cycling oriented so I can walk or ride a bike to the grocery store, post office, bank, and salon.

I believe in Earth Day, everyday. I hope my actions speak louder than my words.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: