Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday, 09 April 2006 - Butternut squash soup

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a bowl of homemade butternut squash soup.

The temperature is in the 70s and the bright sunshine feels wonderful on my winter weary body. I've already worked in the garden and tidied the garage.

Lucky for my house, my spring cleaning mood perseveres. Right now, I'm cleaning the kitchen counter. For the umpteenth time, I lift the large butternut squash I bought a few months ago so I can wipe underneath it. I note that its still in perfect shape with no signs of rot - yet.

Silly, silly me. What am I saving it for? I bought this squash for a very good reason ... to make my soon-to-be famous soup.

So, that's exactly what I will do - make soup. Cut and peel the squash. Steam it for 20 minutes. Saute one chopped onion. Puree the squash and onions with chicken stock. Heat the mixture. Add powdered ginger, black pepper and Celtic salt. Simmer on low until heated through.

Yum. Butternut squash soup. Tastes as good on a warm spring day as it does on a cold winter evening. Thick, savory, creamy. I think I deserve a second helping.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: