Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wednesday, 26 April 2006 - Three bunnies

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for three bunnies.

While inspecting the northwest corner of the backyard, I discover, beneath the heavy layer of mulch, a small burrow containing three little bunnies. Although I've been praying the Prayer of Jabez and asking to expand my territory, I never imagined that I would be a temporary caretaker of wild bunnies. At least it's a new adventure that will definitely enliven today's agenda.

What do do next. I call the local wildlife rescue organization for advice. The volunteer tells me that they'll rescue the bunnies only if they're abandoned by the mother and unable to fare for themselves. I determine that they're not newborns and probably weaned.

The bunnies will stay here for the foreseeable future. My garden is now an ad hoc bunny haven.

I vow to protect them, especially from T, our chocolate Labrador Retriever. Fortunately, T has a poor sense of smell and probably won't wander near the burrow unless he actually sees the bunnies.

I check the bunnies hourly, making sure they're okay. Sshhhh. They're sleeping.

Early evening. T and I just returned from a long walk in the park. I visit the burrow one more time before sunset. To my surprise (and disappointment), the bunnies are gone. It's dinner time, after all. They're probably feeding on the young spring grasses that recently sprouted in the meadow near the park.

I pray for their safety.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: