Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Tuesday, 1 November 2005 - The right to vote

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the right to vote.

My voting life began in June 1972, when I cast my ballot in the presidential primary. I was an 18 year old high school senior ready to graduate in a few days. I remember driving to the polling place with my parents, entering the house, registering with the election officer, and casting my vote. I don't know if they gave voters an "I Voted" sticker in those days. If they did, I'm sure I wore it proudly and happily.

Many years ago, I was complaining to my colleagues about an elected official. Someone heard my rantings and asked if I had voted in the election. He/she told me that if I don't vote, I don't have the right to complain about the results of a given election. I'm sure that I did vote in that election. However, the warning comes back to me every election season. In our household, we make it a priority to exercise our right to vote whenever the opportunity arises. Plus, I like to wear the "I Voted" sticker - a badge of honor for a good citizen.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: