Sunday, November 06, 2005

Sunday, 6 November 2005 - A resolution

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a resolution to help tame my critical nature.

The resolution, below, found its way to me this morning in an email. Since I tend to be hypercritical of myself and others, I liked its message and immediately decided to add it to my collection of self-improvement prayers, mantras and poems.

Let us all resolve:
First to attain the grace of silence;
Second to deem all fault-finding that does no good a sin...
Third to practice the grace and virtue of praise.

~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

My version:

I resolve:
First, to practice the grace of silence since not all of my opinions are worth airing;
Second, to stop being so critical of myself and others because this tendency is hurtful;
Third, to practice daily the grace and virtue of praise by looking for the good in myself and others.


For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: