Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sunday, 27 November 2005 - Radio programs

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my favorite radio programs.

Brrrr. An arctic front descended on the city last night, bringing a dusting of snow and icy cold, blustery winds. My face feels frozen before we reach the park for our morning walk - a mere half block or so. T, our chocolate Lab, loves the cold weather and pulls me along the sidewalk. He's in a hurry to sniff the grass and trees - his way of checking out the lastest canine news aka pee-mail.

For three quarters of the circuit, the wind blows at our backs or sides - not too bad. The last quarter, however, is a real killer - we walk straight into the north wind. I pull my hat down tightly around my ears. T lowers his head and pulls me forward. Although T wants to go another round, I am ready to head for home after two. I promise that we'll go for another walk in the afternoon.

I spend the afternoon working on the computer and tidying my work table (didn't get too far with the latter task). For background entertainment, I turn on the radio to hear some of my favorite shows: A Prairie Home Companion, Riders in the Sky, and The Thomas Jefferson Hour. (On Saturdays, the lineup includes Weekend Edition, Car Talk, What Do You Know, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Living on Earth.)

After leaving graduate school and starting my corporate career, I did not own a television set or a car, opting to listen to radio programs and take the bus everywhere. I lived in West Los Angeles so I had the luxury of listening to three public radio stations. I tuned in for opera, dramas, Alan Watts, metaphysical discussions, children's stories, car repair help (pre-Car Talk), jazz concerts, old-time radio shows and the news. When I married, I gained both a husband and a TV. But, I also kept in touch with the world via the local public radio station.

So, the afternoon becomes evening. We take T on that second walk before it's totally dark and manage to endure three bone-chilling laps around the park. After returning home and warming up a bit, I head for my studio and flip on the radio. Just in time to catch the 10th anniversary show of This American Life. Perfect timing.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: