Monday, November 14, 2005

Monday, 14 November 2005 - Wish lists

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for wish lists.

When my niece and nephew were much younger, they liked any gift I gave them. But, as they grew older, their unique tastes and preferences developed. Now, around this time of the year, my sister sends me their wish lists. I feel better giving them something they want rather than something I like. I'm sure the day will come when it's easier to give them money than to buy a gift. I hope that I never tire of the hunt for the "perfect" gift.

Even if the gift misses the mark, at least it invites a story - why I chose it, why it didn't work out, why the color is pretty but the texture wrong, why my niece kept it anyway, etc. Mere money leaves blank pages in one's journal. I like a more personal touch - to give something from the heart, something that says you were important enough that I took the time to look for a special gift to celebrate you.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: