Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Wednesday, 31 August 2005 - A normal summer's day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a normal summer's day.

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.
Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart.
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow.
Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,

or bury my face in the pillow,
or stretch myself taut,
or raise my hands to the sky and want,
more than all the world,
your return.
~Mary Jean Iron

Sometimes, I just want a normal summer's day, Nothing extraodinary or newsworthy. No superstar opportunities or record setting temperatures. Just the familiar chain of activities I complete to make a life, to earn a living. Just the opportunity to live my day and attend to business as usual.

Just a regular 24 hours where I awaken, walk and feed the dog, read the newspaper, eat a little breakfast, take a shower, work on marketing and writing projects, eat lunch, wipe the kitchen counter, do crossword and Sudoku puzzles, check Ebay, open the mail, water the plants, read the Bible, watch television, brush my teeth, refill the ice cube trays, answer e-mails, bake a peach cobbler, sweep the kitchen floor, fold the laundry, say my prayers ...

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


No comments: