Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Wednesday, 3 August 2005 - Watermelon

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for thick wedges of ripe, sweet, thirst-quenching watermelon (in case you haven't heard, today is National Watermelon Day. )


"When one has tasted watermelon he knows what the angels eat." ~ Mark Twain

Nothing completes a summer picnic better than slices of ice-cold watermelon for dessert! The real trick, of course, is selecting a ripe one at the grocery store. Each person I meet has his or her own technique for choosing the best one in the bin. My dad, an experienced produce man, told me to look for a heavy melon with a creamy-colored stem end and bee sting marks - the bees instinctively attack only sweet melons. Easier said than done.

Alas, no technique is 100% foolproof as my results will attest. However, when I hit the jackpot, we all enjoy the delicious reward.

One last thing. Please don't perpetuate the old wives' tale that haunted me during my childhood. Tell your kids not to worry if they swallow whole watermelon seeds. The seeds won't sprout or grow in their stomachs. I am living proof of this fact.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: