Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wednesday, 10 August 2005 - Perfect sushi rice

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for sushi rice, perfectly cooked and seasoned.

You might think that because I am a fifth generation Japanese American (on my dad's side), that I know how to make perfect sushi rice. Not true.

Well, at sea level, I never had problems cooking rice. But, at our current altitude of nearly 7,000 feet, I have never mastered this basic culinary skill. The rice was either undercooked or soggy - neither condition makes good sushi.

Now, thanks to Alton Brown and his Good Eats show on Food Network TV, I have mastered the technique. The secret, I've learned, is to cook the rice in a pot on the stove; in other words, get rid of the automatic rice cooker. I also flavor the rice with a simple dressing of rice vinegar, organic sugar and Celtic salt.

My "secret recipe" vegetarian sushi smeared with wasabi is now better than ever. Actually, it's to die for according to the critics: my husband and our gourmet-food loving friends.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: