Thursday, August 25, 2005

Thursday, 25 August 2005 - A small handful of fresh basil

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a small handful of fresh basil.


This year, I made one exception to my "don't grow vegetables because I don't want to battle the bugs" rule. I planted basil seeds so I could enjoy my favorite herb without paying the $25.00 per pound price at the natural foods store.

The seeds spouted quickly. Within weeks, tiny leaves appeared on the inch high stalks. I couldn't wait to harvest the leaves and make a cup of fresh pesto.

Then, the bugs discovered my treasured herbs and snacked nightly on the tender leaves. My heart sank. Not wanting to resort to pesticides, I sprayed the plants with a diluted soap concoction I read about in an herbal book - to no avail.

Recently, I've begun plucking the leaves each morning before the bugs spoil them. The leaves may be small, but they're still fragrant and flavorful. I no longer flirt with the idea of making pesto. Instead, I'm using the basil to flavor my fresh tomato and feta cheese salads. Well, someone did say that it's the quality not the quantity that counts.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen
.

No comments: