Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thursday, 11 August 2005 - My garden's second season

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my garden's second season.


My backyard flower gardens flourished during spring's perfect weather but wilted quickly under the stress of July's long and intense heatwave. So, for the past few weeks, I've patiently deadheaded the daisies and dianthus and other plants. Last year, these same plants delighted me with huge bouquets of healthy, beautiful flowers well into September (sigh).

Now, it's mid-August. Much cooler temperatures and afternoon showers rule the day. This morning, I happily discovered tiny flower buds on the daisies and dianthus. To facilitate the new growth, I fed the plants a generous dose of Miracle-Gro fertilizer. Now, I am crossing my fingers and saying extra prayers for favorable weather as my garden prepares for a second season of growth.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: